Saturday, March 29, 2008

Porcelain


My current ceramics instructor encouraged me to work with porcelain so I stocked up on some for the home studio. I have been working to perfect a surface chatter on clay. This chatter is left from vibrations created by a throwing rib on the spinning form. The porcelain seems to pick up these vibrations well when I throw with very little water to create friction. In fact, care needs to be taken not to tear the form apart from the chattering vibrations because of the delicacy of the clay body.


In contrast to the chattered forms, I also threw some smoother forms in preparation for spring pit fires. In addition to squeegeeing the surfaces with a metal rib as I threw them, I later burnished their surfaces with a smooth river stone. I plan on working back into the fire-charred surfaces with watercolors to bring in imagery from my drawings. I like to use the pot like a canvas.

No comments: